Historical image of swimming pool

The history of Wyndham Park

2016
Grantham's Wyndham Park awarded Green Flag status for the fifth year running in July 2016
2015
Refurbished paddling pool opened
2015
Park secures its fourth Green Flag award along with Fields in Trust and Showcase Centenary Field award (North of England)
2015
Skate park closed
2014
Park secures its third Green Flag award and funding required to refurbish the paddling pool
2013
Park achieves its second Green Flag award and development of application for external funding commenced to help fund the refurbishment of the park
2012
Park achieves its first Green Flag award
2011
Management plan created to help achieve Green Flag status
2010
Sensory garden refurbished
2006
Small bowling green closed through lack of demand and toddlers' play area created
2005
Tea rooms/cafe constructed
2005
Wyndham Park Forum formed
2004
Skate park created

 

Historic Photos:

Grantham's Wyndham Park has been awarded Green Flag status for the fifth year running in July 2016
Wyndham Park achieves fourth Green Flag Award 2015
Wyndham Park achieves third Green Flag Award 2014
Cllr Bob Adams opens Wyndham Park's new water play facility 2014
Wyndham Park achieves second Green Flag Award 2013
Refurbished sensory garden 2010
Skate park 2004
1997
Additional land secured (playing field to former Boys' Central School) which links Wyndham Park with Sandon Road
1995
Water re-introduced to the pool tank of the former outdoor pool, to create a model boating lake
1985
The park's greenhouses and plant nursery are shut down
1980
First sensory garden created
1978
BMX cycle facility created in the pool tank of the original outdoor swimming pool
1978
New tree stock introduced to the area of the promenade
1977
Elm trees removed from the main promenade due to Dutch Elm Disease
1971
Outdoor swimming pool closed
1945
VE Day, the park featured heavily in the town's celebrations
1935
Memorial Arch and toilets constructed
1930s
Play equipment introduced to the park
1929
Memorial Shelter constructed
1929
First bowling green constructed
1928
Wyndham Park bowls club formed
1924
Lady Leconfield, who officially opened Wyndham Park as a memorial to Grantham war died
1924
Fountain created
1924
White bridge constructed and laid out as a memorial to those who sacrificed their lives in the Great War 1914-1918
1923
Development of Wyndham Park is ongoing
1922
Further land secured to help create the park
1922
Great flood destroyed the bridge from Slate Mill Place to the area now known as Wyndham Park
1921
A further area of land was secured, the area was later developed as a paddling pool
1920
The Grantham Town Council made a decision to create a memorial to victims of World War One at Wyndham Park
1920
Lady Leconfield donated £1000 for the creation of a memorial in respect of her son Lt. Hon. William Reginald Wyndham who was killed in action on November 6 1914
1914
World War One broke out
1912
Percy Chandos Farquhar de Paravacini donated land for recreational purposes, to the people of Grantham

 

Historic Photos:

Children in river 1911
View towards church across park 1930s
Fountain 1930s with first bowling green in distance
View towards white bridge 1940s
Ticket office 1940s
Swimming pool 1940s
Paddling pool 1940s
View of St Wulfram's Church 1940s
Entrance arch 1950s
Memorial arch plaque 1950s before white washed walls
Memorial shelter 1950s
View towards ticket office with church in background 1950s
View towards church  - white bridge 1958
The island 1960s
Paddling pool - mid 1970s
1892
Slate Mill (which used to be sited on the park's former nursery (adjacent to the current white bridge) was destroyed by fire
1886
Dam created in tributary of the River Witham to create an outdoor bathing place

 

1615
Area of the current Wyndham Park known as Harrowby Fields - used as a public space